Doing a search engine optimization SEO audit is no joke. It used to take time, the patience of a saint and too many spreadsheets. You may grow white hair or two in the process. But, thanks to technical SEO audit tools, we are no longer doing those insane manual checks that we did in the past. Most SEO experts arm themselves with these tools so they’re no longer rummaging through raw data but making strategic decisions instead.
In this article, I’ll share four of my go-to tools for performing a technical SEO audit: Netpeak Spider, DeepCrawl (a cloud-based tool), Screaming Frog (a desktop-based tool) and Search Console (the free web-based tool from Google themselves). They all have their different strengths and use cases. Depending on your requirements, you may need to choose one — or you may find all three useful in conjunction.
1. Netpeak Spider
Netpeak Spider is a desktop tool for a day-to-day SEO audit, a quick search for issues, systematic analysis, and website scraping.
It finds broken links and redirects, text images of your website or broken images, escapes duplicate content: Titles, Meta Descriptions, H1 Headers, and presents all the data in graphics and diagrams.
- Checks 50+ key on-page SEO parameters of crawled URLs;
- Consider indexation instructions (Robots.txt, Meta Robots, X-Robots-Tag, Canonical);
- Calculate internal PageRank to improve website linking structure;
- Set custom rules to crawl either the entire website or its certain part;
When analyzing a medium website (10K pages) Netpeak Spider is leading in RAM consumption (the closest rival consumes 2 times more), and it has the same crawling speed as Screaming Frog SEO Spider (in Memory mode).
And Netpeak Spider is completely leading in analyzing large websites (100К pages) with the fastest crawling that consumes the smallest RAM amount. It can also show the data of various SEO factors that might be hurting your rankings.
- 63 BEST SEO TOOLS FOR SMALL BUSINESS ROOFERS MARKETING!
- HOW TO BUILD POWERFUL BACKLINKS FOR ROOFING WEBSITE FASTER!
- TOP SEARCH ROOFING KEYWORDS: TOP 3 EXCELLENT TOOLS TO FIND FOR SEO & PPC INSTANTLY!
- 7 SEO STRATEGY TO GET COMMERCIAL ROOFING LEADS ON-GOING!
- ROOFING INDUSTRY KEYWORDS RANKING: HOW TO USE SEMRUSH TO IMPROVE SEO!
- SEMRUSH REVIEW: WHY USE IT FOR ROOFING SEO CAMPAIGN?
- 20+ BEST ROOFING MARKETING TOOLS! [SEO, PPC & COMPETITOR TRAFFIC UNCOVER]
- WHY WHITE LABEL SEO IS IMPORTANT FOR ROOFING COMPANY MARKETING STRATEGIES?
- COMMERCIAL ROOFING MARKETING: 9 SEO STEPS TO INCREASE LEADS FROM 0 TO 100,000!
- ROOFING INDUSTRY MARKETING: HOW TO PROMOTE ROOFING BUSINESSES WITH SEO [ORGANIC TRAFFICS, SALES & LEADS]
- MARKETING FOR ROOFING CONTRACTORS: 11 SEO TIPS TO RANK #1 IN GOOGLE – DRIVE MORE CALLS!
- SEMRUSH VS. BRIGHTEDGE COMPARISON: WHICH IS BEST FOR ROOFING MARKETING AND WHY?
- SEMRUSH PRO VS. GURU VS. BUSINESS: BEST FOR ROOFING MARKETERS!
- ACCURANKER VS SEMRUSH COMPARISON: WHICH IS RIGHT FOR ROOFERS MARKETING?
- 10 FASTEST WAYS TO BECOME AN SEO MASTER TO GENERATE ROOFING LEADS!
- NO.1# BEST BLOG WRITING SERVICES FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES!
- SEMRUSH FOR ROOFERS: HOW TO AUDIT A ROOFING SITE FOR SEO & PPC INSTANTLY!
- HOW USER-GENERATED CONTENT CAN BOOST YOUR ROOFING MARKETING STRATEGY!
- HOW TO SCALE WHITE HAT LINK BUILDING FOR ROOFERS WEBSITE?
- TOP CONTENT MARKETING AGENCY THAT WILL HOOK ROOFING LEADS FOR YOU!
- 3 SECRETS WAYS OF SUPER SUCCESSFUL SOCIAL VIDEO CAN PROPEL YOUR ROOFING BRAND!
- WHY ROOFING BUSINESSES SHOULD CHOOSE WORDPRESS AS CMS?
- HOW TO LEVERAGE RESOURCES AND SEO TOOLS FOR ROOFERS SEARCH RANKINGS
- WHY WORD OF MOUTH MARKETING IS THE BEST FOR ROOFERS BUSINESSES?
- 5 EASIEST WAY TO MAKE ROOFERS CONTENT TO GET AUTHORITY BACKLINKS
- HOW TO USE DATA TO CREATE AMAZING CONTENT FOR ROOFING WEBSITE
- WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ON-PAGE FACTORS FOR ROOFER WEBSITES TO IMPROVE GOOGLE RANKINGS?
- HOW TO IMPROVE FASTER LOCAL RANKING BY QUICK SEO FIXES FOR ROOFERS WEBSITE
- 10 MAGICAL TACTICS TO MAKE ROOFING INDUSTRY CONTENT GOES VIRAL!
- HERE’S 23 QUICKEST WAY TO FIND ROOFING BUSINESSES BLOG POST IDEAS
- CONTENT MARKETING HAS REACHED MAXIMUM CAPACITY. LET’S FIX THAT FOR ROOFING INDUSTRY
- 5 DIGITAL MARKETING TRENDS TO FOLLOW EVERY ROOFING BUSINESSES
- 15 CONTENT MARKETING TECHNIQUES TO DRIVE TRAFFIC ON YOUR ROOFING WEBSITE!
- HOW TO CONVERT YOUR ROOFING KEYWORD IDEAS INTO A KICKASS CONTENT
- WHAT IS QUALITY SCORE IN PPC & WHY IT IS MATTER FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES?
- 9 FREE EXCELLENT TOOLS TO CHECK ROOFING WEBSITE GOOGLE RANKING!
- 7 BEST BLOGGER OUTREACH STRATEGIES FOR ROOFING INDUSTRY! [DECENT GUIDE]
- BUY WHITEHAT GUEST POST LINKS FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES!
- 16 SEO FREE COURSES FOR ROOFING MARKETING BEGINNERS!
- SEMRUSH PRO, GURU & PRO+CI ADD-ON FREE TRIAL FOR ROOFING MARKETING COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE!
- 6 YOUTUBE SEO MARKETING TECHNIQUES FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES!
- 5 QUICKEST WAY TO INCREASE ROOFING WEBSITE VISIBILITY ON GOOGLE SEARCH! FASTER
- BEST GOOGLE KEYWORD PLANNER ALTERNATIVE FREE TOOLS FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES MARKETING START-UP
- BACKLINK OUTREACH SERVICES: TOP PLACE TO BUILD NOW FOR ROOFING WEBSITES!
- 13 BEST EMAIL OUTREACH PRACTICES FOR ROOFERS BACKLINKS BUILDING!
- 28 BEST LSI AND LONG TAIL KEYWORDS GENERATOR FOR ROOFERS BUSINESSES
- ADVANCED LINK BUILDING STRATEGIES TO USE FOR ROOFING WEBSITES: SHARED BY 40+ INDUSTRY EXPERTS
- 19 BEST SEO COURSES ONLINE FOR ROOFERS MARKETING BEGINNERS!
- HOW TO DO ROOFERS COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS FOR SEO WITH SEMRUSH IN 20 MINUTES
- AUTHENTIC CONTENT MARKETING: HOW IT CREATES TRUST WITH YOUR ROOFING BRAND!
- CHANGE YOUR ROOFING BUSINESS GAME WITH THE BEST DIGITAL MARKETING TOOLS
- TOP 7 BEST ALL IN ONE SEO TOOLS FOR ROOFERS MARKETING! [PROS & CONS]
- TOP 13 MOST IMPORTANT GOOGLE ORGANIC RANKING FACTORS FOR ROOFERS SEO!
- SEMRUSH VS SEOPROFILER: WHICH IS THE BEST SEO TOOL FOR ROOFERS CONTRACTOR?
- 21 EXCELLENT TOOLS SIMILAR TO SEMRUSH FOR ROOFING COMPANIES- FREE & PAID
- SEMRUSH VS SPYFU: WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR ROOFING MARKETING?
- SEMRUSH VS. SE RANKING COMPARISON: WHICH IS RIGHT FOR ROOFING COMPANIES MARKETING?
- SEMRUSH VS MOZ PRO: IS SEMRUSH NO.1 FOR ROOFERS SEO?
- SEMRUSH VS. MAJESTIC: WHICH SEO TOOL IS WINNER FOR ROOFING MARKETING?
- SEMRUSH VS. RAVEN TOOLS COMPARISON: WHICH IS WINNER FOR ROOFERS SEO MARKETING?
- SEMRUSH VS. SIMILARWEB COMPARISON – FIND THE BEST TRAFFIC ANALYTICS FOR ROOFING WEBSITES!
- SEMRUSH VS. KWFINDER BY MANGOOLS: WHICH IS RIGHT FOR ROOFERS MARKETING?
- SEMRUSH VS. SERPSTAT: WHICH IS THE BEST FOR ROOFERS MARKETING?
- 11 BEST AHREFS ALTERNATIVES SEO TOOLS FOR ROOFERS MARKETING! (FREE TRIAL & PAID)
- SEMRUSH CONTENT MARKETING TOOLKIT: WHY CHOOSE FOR ROOFERS CONTENT MARKETING? [116 EXPERTS ADVICES]
- SEMRUSH VS. AHREFS COMPARISON: WHY SEMRUSH IS THE BEST AND WINNER FOR ROOFING AGENCIES/MARKETERS?
- 7 PPC & SEO TOOLS SIMILAR TO SPYFU: THE BEST ALTERNATIVES FOR ROOFING MARKETING!
- SEMRUSH VS. ALEXA TOOL COMPARISON: WHICH IS BEST FOR ROOFING BUSINESSES MARKETING?
- Roofers SEO By Locations @RSmarketer!
I really like DeepCrawl, because of its flexibility and the depth of the reports it provides. When starting a crawl, you can choose from numerous crawl types, right up to a full gap analysis of my entire site. You can also auto-schedule crawls, which is really useful. Crawls are highly customizable, so you can set the criteria for maximum / minimum links per page, content, title / URL length, load time, etc.
Here are the three things I like the most about DeepCrawl:
- It can easily handle crawling millions of pages, so if you need to crawl a huge site, look no further.
- It provides competitor reports — not just the basic headlines, but the real nitty-gritty details on content, pricing and promotions, site architecture and even the brand’s key influencers.
- It allows you to project manage your SEO team, creating tickets for issues and assigning them to people. It also alerts you if any issues pop up consistently in crawls. Plus, it maintains a history of all changes, so you can look back and monitor performance and progress over time.
If I had to improve one thing, I’d ask for more mobile-focused reports. (Their support guys told me to expect more of these in their next product update, so looks like that’ll be solved soon anyway).
3. Screaming Frog
When it comes to desktop crawlers, Screaming Frog is an undisputed leader. The tool has been around for quite some time now, and webmasters managing sites of all sizes swear by it. If you are looking at crawling less than 500 URLs, you can even use it for free.
However, if you have a large website with over 10,000 pages, be wary, as desktop crawlers can cause server-response problems. Besides, it doesn’t come with collaboration features, which makes it far less attractive for SEO teams these days.
That said, in this price range, it’s one of the most useful crawlers, and here are the reasons it’s in my top three:
- It doesn’t die off when your memory is running low and alerts you beforehand. I especially like this feature, because this has happened to me a few times. All you need to do is save the project, increase random access memory (RAM) and restart it to continue.
- Their bulk export option really makes life easier, as you can export all data, including internal links, outbound links, anchor text, image alt text, etc.
- There is an option to accept cookies, so you can also crawl websites that make it compulsory to accept cookies.
And, though I like the tool overall, if I had to change one thing about it, I’d want them to improve the user experience to make it easier to customize crawls.
4. Google Search Console
While SEO veterans might find it funny to see this tool on the list, many SEOs are relying on it more than ever. The tool has come a long way since its earlier days and can offer a fair amount of insights. These are the three things I do love about it:
- It gives you estimates on your position for a keyword, plus the number of impressions and clicks for your site on that keyword in Google search results. That may be basic, but it’s important and useful.
- It gives a good summary of things that matter — things like broken links, number of pages indexed, the correctness of HTML markup, page loading speed, etc.
- It’s free — and it comes from the horse’s mouth! (OK, that’s two things, but they’re both major plus points.)
The only thing I don’t like about Search Console is that it doesn’t always give a complete picture.
Remember, these tools may not be the best fit for your specific needs. All three have their particular unique selling points and solve specific pain points well. You should review them all and choose the one that’s right for you. The main things to consider are the size of your website, the volume of new pages you generate and the kind of insights you are looking for. Source.